One of the most important and frequent questions that patients ask of healthcare practitioners concern vaccines and vaccination. Unlike medicines, vaccines are administered to all individuals, healthy or not – usually infants and children. Health practitioners therefore need to be empowered with a basic knowledge of this crucially important branch of preventive medicine.
- How do vaccines induce protection against infectious agents and how long does this immunity last?
- How safe are vaccines in healthy and immuno-suppressed individuals? What are live and killed or subunit vaccines?
- Can live and killed vaccines be given simultaneously and how long after live vaccine administration can another live vaccine or killed vaccine be administered?
- Are vaccines effective if given after exposure to an infectious agent?
- Which vaccines are routine and which are recommended?
- Which vaccines should be given to adults and the elderly
These and many other questions around vaccines and their administration are clearly answered in this book